Many sushi lovers love to add ‘Wasabi’, a green paste that has a great taste and aroma to their sushi. There are few culinary experiences that compare to the sensation of eating sushi and then savoring it. Wasabi and sushi are great for your health and can be enjoyed all over the world at any time of the day
Wasabi: What Is It?
Japanese horseradish, Wasabi, is a popular Japanese paste made of Wasabi plants. To make the paste or powder, grate the rootstalk or Rhizome. This is done to preserve its flavor from air exposure. It is rare to find Wasabi plants as they require a lot of manual labor and can take up to a year to grow.
It also grows in very specific environments and under specific atmospheric conditions making it extremely difficult to find and expensive to obtain.
- Real wasabi’s color is more natural than horseradish, and it is noticeable. Horseradish is often treated with green colorants, which makes it appear artificial. Sometimes, however, colorants are not even added to the horseradish.
- It has a distinct flavor; horseradish is hotter than wasabi and wasabi has a more sophisticated, refreshing aroma.
Wasabi And Sushi: Why Should You Eat It?
Wasabi is a nutritious food that contains many nutrients necessary for the health of the human body. Here’s a nutritional table for one tablespoon of wasabi paste.
- Wasabi can be used as a condiment to enhance the flavor of your food and fight bacteria. Wasabi’s “Isothiocyanates” have anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties.
- This is a good choice for dieters: Research shows that wasabi leaves contain some ingredients that can hinder the growth of fat cells. If you are concerned about becoming fat, add wasabi and sushi to your diet. You can also keep your cholesterol levels in check by adding sushi and wasabi to your diet.
- It prevents cancer: Wasabi paste contains Isothiocyanates, which can be harmful to several types of cancer. Consuming wasabi paste may cause problems with the lungs, prostate, breast, and other parts of the body.
- Brain food: Isothiocyanates have beneficial effects on the nervous system. It protects against neurodegenerative diseases such as memory disorders and nourishes brain cells.
- Muscle repair: Wasabi is a great remedy for bone strengthening and preventing bone loss.
- Food poisoning prevention: It has been proven that eating wasabi can prevent food poisoning. It also fights bacteria found in raw fish. It prevents parasitic infections from occurring when you eat raw fish. You can enjoy your wasabi without worrying about infection.
- It boosts the circulation system: Wasabi is a treatment for skin health.
- Clears the respiratory system: Wasabi is good for your respiratory system. It clears the nostrils, and helps to prevent diseases like asthma.
- Wasabi can also be used to treat colds.
Should You Have Sushi With Wasabi?
Sushi should be eaten with wasabi, but only in the right amounts. Wasabi is usually eaten with sushi. It was originally used to kill bacteria in raw fish. However, now it’s used to enhance sushi flavor. You can choose to eat your sushi without wasabi or with other delicious accompaniments if you don’t like it. Because of its spicy nature, it is important to remember that wasabi should be avoided by people suffering from heartburn, stomach ulcers, stomach disorders, or other digestive problems.
How To Eat Wasabi With Your Sushi
Wasabi is usually eaten with sushi. This is a fact that many sushi-lovers aren’t aware of. Wash your hands if you are using your hands. Dry them with a towel. Take your sushi out and dip it in the soy sauce. Spread a little bit of wasabi onto the fish.
Chopping sticks are an option if you don’t feel comfortable eating with your hands. Chopsticks are better than using your hands to make wasabi, then putting it in your eyes. Chopsticks are better for picking up sushi.
One side of the sushi should be dipped into the wasabi. This is usually a raw fish, such as your sashimi or Nigiri. Nigiri sushi is best eaten with rice. Soy sauce can break down the rice. Instead, only dip the rice in soy sauce and then place it on top. Flip the sushi over and dip it in the soy sauce. Simply put, coating both sides of your sushi will make it more enjoyable.
Chopsticks can be used to place a little bit of wasabi on the sushi. Then, dip the other end in soy sauce.
Take One Bite Of Wasabi And Soy Sauce Together.
You shouldn’t add too many wasabi to your sushi. Your sushi is the main dish. Your wasabi should only be used as a condiment. You should enjoy the sushi. Too much wasabi can ruin the sushi’s taste. To blend the flavors of your sushi, you will need a little bit of wasabi.
To add ginger to your sushi and wasabi, you should eat it right after. This will allow you to taste the next fish bites. You should not mix soy sauce with wasabi, nor eat sushi wasabi and ginger in one bite. In Japanese tradition, it is considered rude to the chef. Instead, you should enjoy each one differently. There are many ways to enjoy sushi and wasabi. You can choose the one that suits you best. In any Japanese restaurant, you can get even more ideas.
Amount You Eat Of Wasabi And Sushi
Wasabi is healthy, delicious, and tasty. The sushi chef usually decides how much wasabi to add to your sushi. As such, you don’t have to make the wasabi, unless you prefer something more spicy.
Overeating Wasabi Can Be Dangerous. Why?
Too much wasabi can cause high blood pressure due to its high sodium level. To function properly, the human body only requires small amounts of sodium, approximately 500mg. However, one tablespoon of wasabi has 542 mg. Because wasabi is very spicy, overeating it will only heat your mouth. It can also cause allergic reactions. Fake wasabi also contains gluten, which can be dangerous for hypertensives.
Liver damage: Wasabi contains hepatotoxin which is a toxic chemical that can cause liver damage. Although small amounts of wasabi are not dangerous, it is important to limit how much you eat in order to avoid liver damage.
Overeating wasabi can also cause digestive problems such as stomach upset, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.
Too much wasabi can lead to hospitalization. Horseradish pasta is high in spice and can cause severe health problems. Consuming 100g of wasabi in one meal can be dangerous and could lead to complications in your health. It all depends on the individual’s tolerance for heat.
Is It Possible To Make Your Own Wasabi Paste?
Wasabi paste is often made from either the plant or wasabi powder. Make your wasabi paste using the wasabi plant.
- Wash and peel the wasabi plants (note: the rhizomes, which is the root stem, should be used, not the leaves).
- After washing the plant, grate it and place it in a bowl.
- It should be left for approximately two to three minutes.
- Then, serve. Wasabi is ready in a matter of minutes. It should not be exposed to the elements for longer than 20 minutes. Make wasabi paste with the powder.
- Mix three tablespoons of wasabi powder with one teaspoon of water in a bowl. Once the mixture is well combined, you can make your own wasabi paste. This method is easier than making wasabi paste from the root stem. But, it is more natural to make your wasabi paste using the root stem. This also reduces the chance of using wasabi powder with colorants or preservatives that can cause harm to one’s health.
Check Out Sushi Inc.
Sushi Inc. is a vibrant restaurant that offers what is considered the best sushi in St Pete. Opening its doors in 2013 and becoming a local staple by offering live music, traditional hand-rolled sushi and a friendly atmosphere, our guests always have a top notch experience. Customers love our award-winning, fresh and creative Sushi rolls, Nigiri, and Sashimi. With a larger selection of tempura, non-Sushi, japanese, and teriyaki options, we can accommodate every taste in downtown St Petersburg Fl. Contact us today to set your reservation or if you have any questions. When setting any reservations, please inform us of any allergies you might have and ask for alternative options. Check out our menu and daily specials you won’t be disappointed with our #1 voted and reviewed sushi in the Bay area.